- Association of College and Research Libraries, MD
- Children's Services Division
- Leadership Development Division
- Public Services Division
- Support Staff Division
- Technical Services Interest Group
- Intellectual Freedom Panel
- Legislative Panel
- Marketing Committee
- Maryland Author Award
- Professional Development Panel
- Future of Libraries Interest Group
- Government Information Interest Group
- LGBTQ+ Interest Group
- Library Advocacy Interest Group
- Maryland Adult Programming Interest Group
- New Members Interest Group
- Outreach Services Interest Group
- Readers' Advisory Interest Group
- Teen Interest Group
LGBTQ+ Interest Group
LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and all other marginalized gender and sexual identities) people are part of every community and library service area, including library staff. They face unique challenges, such as discriminatory legislation, barriers to healthcare, and gaps in library services. To effectively serve our communities and colleagues, and fulfill our organizational commitment to inclusion and diversity, the needs of LGBTQ+ people need to be specifically addressed in our programs, resources, services, and policies. The LGBTQ+ Interest Group brings together the efforts of libraries throughout the state of Maryland to protect and uplift the LGBTQ+ community.
The LGBTQ+ Interest Group champions an affirmative space for the LGBTQ+ community in Maryland libraries by:
- Aggregating and advising on best practices for topics including:
- Programming for all ages,
- Collection development,
- Communications and marketing,
- Sharing and developing resources for training,
- Addressing the evolving needs of the community,
- Collaborating with other MLA groups and community organizations,
- Advocating for LGBTQ+ issues at the state level,
- Including LGBTQ+ people of all intersectional communities throughout the state in the conversation,
- Ensuring that MLA is inclusive and welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community.
- Holds both face-to-face and online discussions.
- Plans at least one MLA Conference program each year.
- Seeks out collaborations with other MLA units where missions and interests align.
- Actively encourages participation by all MLA members across library types and positions.
The LGBTQ+ Interest Group works to advance the entire FY2018 – FY2020 Strategic Plan of the Maryland Library Association, and most specifically supports Goal 4 – “MLA fosters an inclusive organizational culture, representing a growing and increasingly diverse organization, and prepares members for leadership opportunities.”
MLA Strategic Plan
Teresa Miller, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Librarian I | Spauldings Branch Library
5811 Old Silver Hill Rd, District Heights, MD 20747
Prince George's County Memorial Library System
Last updated 21 October 2021.