Mission and Vision Statement of MLA
The Maryland Library Association
- Advocates for the improvement and support of the Association and libraries,
- Provides and promotes opportunities for personal and professional growth,
- Provides and develops leadership in the library community,
- Promotes equal access to information.
The Maryland Library Association is the leading advocate for the Maryland library community.
To fulfill its mission, the Maryland Library Association
- Recognizes and plans for the rapidly changing environment in which diverse libraries and the Association operate,
- Regularly reviews its goals, objectives and strategies by maintaining a strategic planning cycle of not more than three years with regular interim reviews,
- Advocates and publicly promotes the successes and value of diverse libraries to legislators, governing bodies, trustees, and the general public,
- Develops and sustains a strong, vital and diverse membership through effective marketing and by providing outstanding value to its members,
- Provides quality, relevant and accessible education and development opportunities for its diverse and geographically scattered members,
- Proactively adopts appropriate current technologies in support of its members and programs,
- Provides leadership education and experience and networking opportunities for its members,
- Partners with other organizations in our communities to further mutual goals,
- Actively pursues innovative sources of funding to provide outstanding value to its members,
- Proactively addresses vital library issues, including issues of equality of access and freedom of speech.